First farmstay in Chile: Edo and Wyke's organic and regenerative farm



On Monday September 30th, I took the bus in the afternoon from Valparaiso to the big port town San Antonio to meet Edo, in who's farm I was about to spend the next 10 days. With his girlfriend Wyke from Holland they have bought the land 7 years ago, have been going a few months each year, sleeping in a tent and slowly building it more and more to turn it into an off-grid regenerative organic farm and project of propagation of native species.

Because the farm is very remote and not that easy to access without a car, he had booked a taxi to get to his place. At some point, the road turned into a gravel road and then further down it was a dirt/sand road through the trees. We arrived just as it was getting dark, he had to step out to open the gate and kick the cows out that had trespassed through some secret passage they found somewhere in the fence. It was all of a sudden so peaceful, the dark blue sky, the sounds of nature all around and fresh air. I was instantly so happy to have arrived in this beautiful place in the middle of nowhere.

Being the only volunteer at that time, I got my own cabana with everything I needed: a bed, several much needed blankets (I took all the blankets I could find - it was cold!) and a fire stove. The dry toilet and shower are outside. My first challenge and learning experience: having to light a fire! I also needed to fill my water bottle with boiling water to heat up my bed and feet. It was probably 5 degrees when I woke up and had to start another fire, it took a while for it to start. After that, each night and each morning, lighting a fire using only one match was the challenge I took on, sometimes it took 4 or 5 matches, but sometimes, making the right construction of dried pine needles, small branches and big branches, one match was enough. Victory!

The major drought in the country also affected the farm here and the deep water well had dried up just a few weeks before I arrived, so the actual sowing of crops (quinoa is planned once water irrigation is set up) and vegetable garden cannot be started yet. The work I did was mainly help with general maintenance around the property, removing the weeds around the house that could be a fire hazard when the summer starts and fixing the fence around the property to keep the neighbor's cows out (essential before the crops and vegetables are sewn), or helping to fix the pipes from the water well to the house. And of course gathering fire wood from the half-dead pine tree that had lost a huge branch. This all doesn't sound very glamorous, and it wasn't. But still I'm grateful for the experience for 2 main reasons. 1 - because it enabled me to stay in this beautiful remote place, be in the quiet and see the stars at night, experience life in nature. 2 - because it enabled me to learn (by doing) the 'backstage' steps of what it takes to build and start of project like this. I realized (my muscles realized) how much work is needed before any type of planting can even start. If I one day I want to buy a piece of land and start a similar project somewhere in the world, I will know to have patience, strength and endurance. In the meantime I can build muscle on someone else's farm and enjoy the free time, sound of birds, smell of fresh air and starry nights.

Workaway profile: Join an off-grid regenerative organic farm and help with the propagation of native species near Matanzas, Chile.

Arrival at dusk



Do you notice there is a road here? that's the road to the farm! 

A moment to relax after work 

Beautiful night skies! 

Heating up the water for the shower (or bucket bath actually) 

I found all that was needed for a morning routine! 

On the 4th day at the farm, out of nowhere appeared a cat from the forest, she wanted cuddles and followed me everywhere until my last day. Her name is Fiona and she had being too scared of the dogs to come back earlier!

Super cuddly cat Fiona wanted to be in my arms even during my morning meditation and yoga!

 Work in progress - connecting the deep water well to reach the cabañas and field for irrigation

The Rapel river at the back of the property through the trees 

I wanted to take Fiona the super cuddly cat with me when I left!


Comments

  1. What a wonderful, even if enduring, experience! So glad you learnt all this, especially preventing fire hazards which is a useful skill to have for the future. So happy the cat was so cuddly with you :))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please add your name to your comment :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Fridays for Future in Valparaíso

Hall of mirrors and baby twins

Christmas in Valle Azul at Matilde's