Last days in San Jose - like at home at the Garden Hostel




I could have spent my last days in Costa Rica partying and going out and visiting many things left to see, take that day-trip to the Irazu volcano or to the turtle beach, or I could have stayed longer in Puerto Viejo with friends or even gone back to Quepos for a day to see that special person I really like, but no, I'm doing what I really need and want to do right now, even if all the other things are so tempting and this is so hard to do: catching up on my blog! I am sitting here for hours in the hostel writing and documenting as much as I can about the permaculture course and days in and around Puerto Viejo and Cahuita. If I don't do it now, it will be even harder later. Here in the hostel, I can make the mental and physical space and have good wifi before I set off on the next adventures.

Blogging and journalling has been a way for me to stay 'sane', centered and somewhat structured on this trip, helping me to keep the purpose of my journey in sight (somewhat) and giving me time to plan the next steps. This trip is not only about having a good vacation and enjoying life - although there is a lot of that for sure. This journey for me is about reflecting about my life and it's meaning, about the things I experience and how they impact me and how I want to live my life after this. Where do I want to settle down? Do I even want to settle in one place? So many questions, I have to keep going to find out. Documenting it all in my journal every night and in this blog is a way for me to process what's going on and keep track of where I am, to help me figure out where I'm going and help me remember it all afterwards.

And on a year-long trip, for me at least, it is essential to keep some days as 'normal', with no exploration nor new things. Just sitting and reflecting and hanging out. A bit like it would be if you went home for a few days in between each 'adventure' to settle down, unpack, do all the admin stuff, look back and refresh before taking off again. Otherwise it would be for me an endless rollercoaster and constant dizziness not knowing what I'm doing and where I'm going.

So I'm spending my last 4 nights in the Garden Hostel in San Jose, a place that feels like home now because I have stayed every time I come back in the city for a few days in between stays and courses in the jungle. It's now the 5th time I'm back here. I'm loving their space, the beautiful garden, big terrace, big breakfast, big shared kitchen, perfect place to wash and air-dry my laundry, yoga mats, quiet and chill atmosphere and of course the really nice staff especially Karen and Maji.

And this time, what a nice surprise to still see Eva and Kaya who were also staying there last time, they are still here living at the hostel for a month while they look for student housing to start their 6-months study program at the University of Costa Rica. And 2 others have joined them Ambre from France and Clara from Mexico. When I arrive they are all hanging out on the big couch in the common living room talking about fun things. I join them and it is like instant girlfriend night. The next evenings we are all cooking and eating together. More people arrive at the hostel and join the fun group.

Yet I still have the time and space during the day to work on my blog and write emails and do all the admin and planning things I need to do. I can also meet up with Lochman, a friend I met on my very first day in Costa Rica at the organic farmer's market and kept in touch with the whole time I am here, a very inspiring person and incredible writer/poet.

Also, yoga! The girls see me practice in the garden on the first morning and ask for a class, okay let's do it! I'm a bit nervous to teach again since I haven't practiced in the past 2 weeks at Finca Tierra (no space nor mat there) but I'm up for the challenge to get back in again, so now every morning 7:30am yoga class in the garden!

Saying goodbye 4 days later is hard, I'm distributing my watercolor paintings and asking everyone to write some words of wisdom and memories in my 'travel guestbook': a guestbook that is reversed because I'm the traveller and I ask the people I meet along the way to leave a note. I'll read them once on the plane. The group in the hostel has gotten bigger and we almost don't fit all at the table anymore for my last dinner.

Simple yet incredible last days in this country that I love and really cool friends!

Instant friends at the hostel :-) 

Cooking together 


Teaching again! 

My good yoga students! 


Space and motivation to paint

It's like my own cosy room 

That orange bag is full of all the warmest clothes I have to all wear once I arrive in the winter of Colorado!  

 Goodbye Costa Rica!



Note: I'm finally catching up on my blog again, today is March 26th and these last days in Costa Rica were February 23rd to 26th :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fridays for Future in Valparaíso

Hall of mirrors and baby twins

Christmas in Valle Azul at Matilde's